Wheels have been set in motion to ensure that Warwickshire County Council’s Household Waste Recycling Centres (HWRCs) continue to provide the best value for money service to the council tax payers of Warwickshire.
Each year, Warwickshire’s HWRCs handle almost 60,000 tonnes of waste, deposited by 1.5 million visits by members of the public. 60% of this waste is currently recycled or composted, while the remaining 40% is sent to landfill.
Warwickshire County Council’s cabinet agreed to begin a procurement process for eight of its HWRCs on Thursday 9 September.
There are nine HWRCs in all across Warwickshire
One in North Warwickshire Borough – Grendon HWRC
One in Nuneaton and Bedworth Borough – Judkins HWRC (Nuneaton)
One in Rugby Borough – Hunters Lane HWRC (Rugby)
Four in Stratford District – Burton Farm (near Stratford Upon Avon), Shipston, Stockton, Wellesbourne HWRCs
Two in Warwick District – Cherry Orchard (Kenilworth) and Princes Drive HWRCs (Leamington Spa)
Two of the HWRCs are run directly by the County Council while the contracts for another six of them is coming to a close in November 2011. A procurement process needs to begin now in order for any new contracts to commence on 1 December 2011.
Even recycling 60% of all the waste tipped at the HWRCs, almost 24,000 tonnes is still being sent to landfill in Warwickshire a year at a cost of £1.4 million. As such the council is looking for more stringent policies on landfill to see Warwickshire improve to be in the top quartile for recycling at HWRCs.
The Council is, however, already keeping costs to a minimum, with its waste disposal services cost per resident found to be second lowest out of Waste Disposal Authorities in England.
While reviewing the current HWRC service, Warwickshire residents were surveyed (both at the HWRCs and online) examining the way in which the nine sites were currently being used, satisfaction levels, and the aspects of the service which where most valuable to the public and asked which services should be developed in future years.
Councillor Alan Cockburn, portfolio holder for the environment, said: “It is imperative that we get the best possible contracts for the household waste recycling centres which play a key role in ensuring that the county meets its commitments to the environment and reducing the amount of waste that goes to landfill.
“Whoever runs the recycling centres after December 2011 will need to work towards putting Warwickshire in the top echelon of the authorities for recycling.
“As well as their essential environmental benefits, HWRCs play an important role in reducing the costs of waste disposal. Financial sanctions are imposed on waste to landfill; by improving our performance from its current rate to 60% we will be making very considerable savings.”
“Putting the procurement process in place now means that contractors will have sufficient time to consider how they can make the best possible tender and for it to be given full consideration so that we get the best possible service at the best possible price.”
For more information please contact the Waste Strategy Team on 01926 418064 or visit http://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/recyclewarks.
Entities for this story
- County council
- Warwickshire County Council
- North Warwickshire Borough
- Bedworth Borough
- Rugby Borough
- Cherry Orchard (Kenilworth)
- Burton Farm
- Alan Cockburn
- waste disposal services
- Stratford District
- Warwick District
- Bedworth Borough
- United Kingdom
- Leamington Spa
- 01926 418064